Friends of the Old Stone School is the non-profit that preserves and restores the historic Old Stone School in Hillsboro.
The Old Stone School is a Wedding & Event Venue, Meeting Place, Community Center, and Stage
located at 37098 Charles Town Pike in Hillsboro, Virginia
The Old Stone School is a great place for special events and activities. You can rent this building for your own party, celebration, or meeting. You can also join us for the many wonderful events and activities coming up at the Old Stone School. Get more details on the Friends of the Old Stone School Events and Activities page.
- December 4–Greens Workshop to make decorations for the five historic homes on tour: sign up online
- December 4–Tree Lighting and Potluck: RSVP online
- December 10–Christmas in Hillsboro Historic Homes Tour: buy tickets, become a sponsor, and volunteer!
- December 10 and 11–Christmas in Hillsboro Holiday Craft Fair and Outdoor Market: get more information
Recurring Meetings and Activities at the Old Stone School
- Bluemont Country Dances held the third Saturday of each month from October through May
- Boy Scout Troop 961 Meetings held Thursday evenings
- Friends of the Old Stone School Meetings held the last Thursday of the month
- Hillsboro Town Council Meetings held the third Tuesday of each month
- Homestead Traditions Club Meetings held the second Wednesday of each month (meetings are often held at other locations).
- Loudoun Valley Ki Aikido classes held Monday and Wednesday evenings
- Ruritans Meetings held the third Thursday of each month
Support Friends of the Old Stone School!
Please join and support us and our efforts for the Old Stone School Community Center. All funds to maintain, manage, and renovate the historic Old Stone School Community Center come from donations and dues, fundraisers and event proceeds, and rental income. See our letter. Here are ways you can help:
Donate–Help us maintain, manage, and improve the historic building!
Become a Friend of the Old Stone School–You can join as an individual, family, or business. See the different options available and join us today!
Support us when you shop on Amazon–When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to Hillsboro Community Association Inc. Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1071573 and support us every time you shop!
Buy a Brick as part of the Milestones and Memories Brick Fundraiser–Commemorate your special milestones and memories with a brick installed at the Old Stone School. Bricks are $30 each. Download the form and instructions to order yours.
The Friends of the Old Stone School is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and maintaining the historic building. To do that, we rely on membership dues, donations. You can help by making a tax deductible donation today!
See photos with ideas of how you can transform the Historic Old Stone School into a charming place for your reception, wedding, or rehearsal dinner! See more about renting the historic Old Stone School for your wedding!
Looking for more information?
- Like Friends of the Old Stone School/Hillsboro Community Association on Facebook!
- Find out how to rent the Old Stone School for your own celebrations.
- See our photo gallery.
What is Friends of the Old Stone School (formerly the Hillsboro Community Association)?
After sitting vacant for 10 years, the historic building was facing the very real threat of being demolished. A group of residents and former students gathered to save the building from this fate, forming the Hillsboro Community Association (recently changed to Friends of the Old Stone School). This non-profit continues to manage the building, focusing efforts on bringing the community together with events and protecting the building through restoration and renovations efforts with the Town of Hillsboro. This historic building continues to unite our community and we are proud to celebrate and protect this historic landmark of our community. You can help by joining our efforts.
A Quick History of the Old Stone School
Originally, Locust Grove Academy circa 1874, The Old Stone School is situated just outside the eastern town limits of Hillsboro, Virginia on Route 9. The original building was built in 1874, and the brick auditorium was added in 1929. Though it operated as a school until 1966 when Hillsboro Elementary opened, it now serves as a center where the non-profit Friends of the Old Stone School (formerly the Hillsboro Community Association), which manages and maintains the building, hosts events and activities. The building may also be rented for your special events, business meetings, workshops, performances, and more! Learn more about this historic building.